Monday, September 20, 2010

Week 5 Post

First, do your best to sum up what you see as the key arguments from these three readings. Second, see if you can make any connections between these key arguments and A) Weinberger, B) any other course readings we've done.


After reading Johnson-Eilola’s piece about symbolic-analytic work/fragmentation/articulation, I have decided to experiment with my blog. The bullet points will serve as my short summaries of the key arguments for the three texts that we’ve read for this week. The rest of my prose will be my attempt at making connections to our previous course readings.

 Johnson-Eilola’s piece, "The Database and the Essay: Understanding Composition as Articulation,” works to show how writing is social and the ways in which intertextuality informs our writing practices. The author posits that articulation theory and symbolic analytic work should be used to explain writing in tangible ways (not as just ideas or abstractions). Johnson-Eilola goes on to talk about how capitalism in regards to copyright/intellectual property has become apart of academia that cannot be denied.


 Sorapure’s article, "Web Literacy: Challenges and Opportunities for Research in a New Medium," speaks about the need for teachers to teach students how to understand, interact, and compose in different modes, particularly when it comes the World Wide Web. The author provides reasons for why students should be permitted to use the Web as a primary source to broaden perspectives about the Web’s potential as a research tool. She also discusses how students should have rhetorical awareness and how the mode impacts the message being sent.


 Sidler’s piece, "Web Research and Genres in Online Databases: When The Glossy Page Disappears," outlines five steps to help teachers encourage and provide meaningful ways to teach students about online research. The author explains how teaching metaphors for research on the World Wide Web could help students become more familiar with how the research process works in academia. She notes that students could look to the Web as a type of “textual marketplace” in which they can shop or evaluate different merchandise.

For me, the three readings coincided with Weinberger in different and important ways. The most significant was Johnson-Eilola article. Her work is relatable to Weinberger’s idea about knowledge and fragmentation. Weinberger notes that “Indeed, we are making knowledge our new currency. But everything touching knowledge and everything knowledge touches is being transformed … Is knowledge being fragmented? Are we being fragmented along with it (200)? This sentiment speaks to Johnson-Eilola’s claim about intertextuality and how writing is very much a social act. Although this notion of fragmentation is often pitched as a postmodern argument (which Johnson-Eilola alludes to) I think that it is important to discuss how interconnected writing is to the social, the political, the economic, and the personal. Even Weinburger speaks of knowledge as currency (as quoted above), and Johnson-Eilola’s writes extensively on how intellectual property battles have become more economic than ever.

Sorapure’s article parallels Adam’s Bank’s discussion in Race, Rhetoric, and Technology and other writers that we have encountered, especially when she says “The Web is unfortunately like the typical academic library, and like most of academia, in that it reflects and perpetuates inequalities of language, nationality, ethnicity, gender, and class. To these biases, the Web adds a heavy dose of capitalist values and consumerism” (348). Sorapure, then, brings up a systemic problem in academia that infiltrates the core of our studies. The issue of critical/meaningful access comes up (in my mind) and the ways in which capitalism (and the other isms that fuel it) cannot be dismissed from how we think about any of the issues that she outlined in the quote.


Sidler’s piece reminded me much Selfe and Selfe’s argument about the interface as a map of capitalism and privilege. Sidler talks about power and how it “comes from the use of space, and even the power ‘to control textual space’ … changing the contexts with which documents are reproduced and as such, the possibilities such texts may have”’ (352). This idea of power, then, controls how certain information is presented and defined in a virtual space. Sidler wants students to use metaphors for understanding their position in a virtual world by looking at themselves as consumers, as people who can shop to evaluate the sources within the online structure.

The connections that I see with these readings all point back to Weinberger’s idea of miscellany/fragmentation/metadata. However, in order to really make strides to see how these things work, I think that our readings are forcing us to confront how capitalism (and other isms that fuel it) work to exclude many demographics. Weinberger talks about how sharing knowledge is important to reaching an understanding, but what if all ideas about what constitute knowledge are not heard? Well, there is a problem. He notes that organizing knowledge will be varied, “Some ways of organizing it—of finding meaning in it---will be grassroots; some will be official. Some will be small groups; some will engender larger groups; some will subvert established groups. Some will be funny; some will be tragic. But it will be the users who decide what the leaves mean” (230). This would be a great idea, a democratic thought in many ways. But, it seems to me that what Weinberger brings up is a continuation of a hierarchy that excludes many voices. I think that we have to be optimistic as teachers about what is happening, but at the same time, we have to be real, too.

6 comments:

  1. Agreed. I’m afraid, as I ranted about incoherently last week, that Weinberger’s dreams could turn into a veritable “might makes right” system of interpretation if left unchecked. In that writing is a social act, we could argue that some writing communities might actually serve to perpetuate misconceptions that *their* way of thinking reflects the majority (and implicitly “more correct”) perspective. We can’t just passively count on “other” voices—we have to go out and find them, which will require getting off the internet. We can’t just sit in the boat and wait for others to swim to us.

    Mentioning boats made me want to be out on one.

    On another note…

    Thanks for drawing the connections between Sidler/Banks et al. I think that it’s easy for many to forget the significance a useful metaphor (or set of metaphors) can have on conveying a point (or complex series of points). When teaching, I always find myself scrambling for the *right* metaphors—but those are the metaphors that resonate with me, and not necessarily with everyone else. While some may argue that Sidler’s approach seems juvenile, we have to be mindful of a variety of strategies to help make this material intertextual for our students. If it’s not intertextual, they won’t be able make it meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you when you said "it seems to me that what Weinberger brings up is a continuation of a hierarchy that excludes many voices". Yes, it will exclude the poor, those who will not make enough money. If knowledge becomes a commodity, we will live the age of "pretechnology". Can you imagine the scene in which the Google asks you to print your credit card number when you want to google a word. The exclusion is coming, I guess, but no one will be spared. The poor White and Black will be victims alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jacob that you do an amazing job connecting this week's material to Banks and the Selfes. It really helped me understand how all of these discussions are connected, which I think we can sometimes forget as graduate students given the fast paced nature of our academic lives. It's not that we don't understand the theory of synthesis. It's just that we forget to do it, or put it off, because we are too busy. So thank you for that.

    I wonder, as a current instructor, how you felt about the argument Sorapure makes re: using the Web as a research tool. I know that in my own experience I tend to push my students away from the Web. This is not because I have a deep rooted fear or hatred of the Web; on the contrary, I love using the Web in my own research. It's just that I know how students are, and I know how I was as an undergraduate, and I know how easy it is to be lazy because the Web does all of the connecting for you. Did you search for X? Then you might Y and Z. This is the kind of stuff students would do in bibliography studies, which would potentially yield them even greater results, but the Web has merely suggested Y and Z. Do you see what I mean? I think that, what I'm trying to say, is that it seems to me that we like to think of the Web as this great vast pool of knowledge, and I'm just not sure if it isn't (at times - NOT ALL THE TIME) limiting to us, especially as researchers.

    Do you think the things that these people are saying will change at all your strategies for allowing students to use the Web as research? And what of the balance between popular/scholarly sources?

    Obviously I could say lots of things about the connection with Banks, but I think we should save that for a project. Idea: let's start pulling all of the stuff we've written so far in blogs, notes, etc, and pull in into a file, just to start. OKAY, GO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second (third, fourth?) your ability to synthesize. It seems like eons ago when we were reading Selfe, so thanks for bringing that back.

    You bring up an issue which I don't think I found especially disturbing until I read your blog post - and that's how ubiquitous capitalism is on the Internet. I know when I do a Google search that there will be sponsored links - so I know someone paid good money to get their link placed at the top. However, I never really considered how wrong that seems. Just because someone paid for their placement doesn't mean they deserve it; it has nothing to do with their relevancy to my search.

    This brings me in a round-about way to Sarah's question: as an instructor, do you address this idea of paid advertisement getting in the way of doing research? Do we value those links less because money got them there? Do we treat them like any other link? Would people with no education in doing research be able to navigate even a Google search without accidentally stumbling into a commercial?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jacob --- Thanks… and sure. We have to continue to critically think and actively seek different ways of thinking and knowing in order to participate in a type of, as Johnson-Eilola notes, articulation work…work that is not passive (and is hopefully accurate to give justice to those voices). This has a lot to do with intertextuality, too, and I agree that using it will help students identify with material.

    @ Anwr --- Thanks for your response. Your ideas about capitalism are important to understand. I think that awareness will be the only way to try to spare people from falling prey to something like to Google credit card situation.

    @ Rachel --- Thanks. Sorapure, etc. argument is well taken because we can use the web as a research tool. I do think that in order to balance popular and scholarly sources, we would have to actually show students how to research instead of simply telling them (or assuming that they know how to research the way that academia wants them to). Sidler’s discussion about analyzing web addresses and understanding web genres could help in some ways as I see them as a continuation of what I already teach in another mode.

    @ Jill --- Thanks. I am teaching Technical and professional writing this semester and we have been talking about visual noise, particularly in regards to how advertisements can creep into a regular Google search (or even a facebook page/profile). I think that it depends on the audience when we talk about who actually clicks on those links. A person who is not as familiar with that genre may click on a commercial or advertisement if they are interested. I think, however, that once person sees that the Web is a continuation of what’s done outside of the Web, then that person can make important connections (I am thinking that advertisements on the Web are similar to those annoying telemarketing phone calls…all of it is about getting money). So, I guess that goes back to Cythnia Selfe in the first article that we read about teaching different modes, as well as Surapure’s discussion about consumerism. We are dealing with the same issues, but in a different space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a an amazing post Jessica. I love the connections you're making between the readings and this point really seems key:

    "The issue of critical/meaningful access comes up (in my mind) and the ways in which capitalism (and the other isms that fuel it) cannot be dismissed from how we think about any of the issues that she outlined in the quote."

    You say this when talking about Sorapure, but mention it again near the end, which I think is spot on. I couldn't agree more. Where I'm left is here: what do we do? As teachers, as those who have the privilege to be in the positions we're in, who choose to stay w/in "the system" (as it were), what kind of meaningful change are we capable of?

    I always fall back on "teaching critical thinking" but then sometimes I wonder if that's really enough.

    ReplyDelete